Thursday, January 14, 2010

Winter Sucks

Yes, I'm Canadian and I said that winter sucks. Especially when you're trying to work on a car and you don't have a garage. Since the snow, wind, freezing rain, and cold have arrived in London I haven't gotten too much work done on the car so I did what any real man would do...I went shopping...for car parts...and tools. As you may have noticed from some of the pictures my car needs some new parts. Kijiji has become my best friend. In the last month I've found:
  • A left fender
  • Black leather door cards
  • An original radio and speakers
  • Some miscellaneous interior parts
  • A complete cruise control unit
  • A non-cracked dash
I also got some nice tools for Christmas; a welder, angle grinder, and an electric impact wrench (why didn't I get one of these before?).

This weekend I am taking a trip to see a couple people in Toronto with some parts that I want:
  • A mint right fender
  • A cluster that doesn't have the hideous fading and bleeding white guage faces I've currently got
  • An complete Mtech2 replica body kit
Despite the way it sounds I actually have been doing some work on the car. I removed the second fender, which looked okay from the outside, only to find that it was full of holes that had been filled with Bondo and "fixed". I had a suspicion that this might be the case. Off to the garbage it goes...

I also pulled off the metal front valence and I've been working at cleaning it up. The twisted wire wheel for my angle grinder has been my best friend in this endeavor; I'm stripping it down to the bare metal to get rid of any rust, then I'll rust treat it, re-prime and paint it.

The gas tank is a work in progress at this point. It looks like it is repairable; although I am keeping my eye out for a good one for a decent price - if I can get one for a fair price I have no problem with saving myself the work of trying to fix this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment