Saturday, September 19, 2009

The New Family Member

As you may have guessed I have recently acquired an 1988 BMW 325i Touring (wagon). Ever since these came out on the market I have always wanted one and for whatever reason I have always had a thing for wagons. Last winter there was one regularly parked at the velodrome that I said I wanted if it ever went up for sale. Luck was on my side because at a club race earlier this year the former owner Dave told my wife he had one for sale...the one I wanted! Five hundred bucks later I am the proud owner of a CLUNKER!
Given the title of the blog you may have figured out it needs a little work; I use the term "little" loosely.
In the month since I got it I have so far managed to:
  • reassemble the dash
  • remove bubbled paint on hood and sand down to bare metal
  • rip the dash apart (I know this seems redundant but there is a method to my madness)
  • removed and replaced the drivers door connector and wiring in order to get the power windows, locks and mirrors working...no extra parts left over...phew!
  • located a 13 button on board computer and harness...not quite working yet...don't know why, it works on the bench
  • figured out why the turn signals and four-way-flashers weren't working, and repaired it
  • repaired the headlight switch
  • located but not purchased a hood yet
  • removed some extraneous wiring and the siren from an alarm system that Dave removed
  • got in trouble from my wife from spending too much time with the car
  • apologized...back to the car

My goals for the coming weeks are:

  • get the instrument cluster and on board computer fully functional
  • figure out why the rear windows don't work
  • figure out what is draining the battery
  • repair/replace the headliner
  • replace the drivers door vapour barrier so water does not pour in when it rains

No comments:

Post a Comment