Sunday, September 20, 2009

It's Exhausting

Well, lots of work on cars today. Both the GTI and the Civic need their oil changed. I also did a bit of work on the emergency brake on the GTI; it was set too tight and was causing the left rear brake to overheat and destroy ABS sensors. It's fixed now.
On to the point of this blog...I also removed the exhaust from the BMW this afternoon. It was very loud so I was anticipating the odd hole that would need to be patched. Here I am getting started at removing the bolts from the joint between the catalytic converter and the exhaust pipe:


Here's part of the reason that it wasn't hanging straight. You can see one of the hangers in the middle that is not in the rubber hanger:


Here you can see the other reason it wasn't hanging straight; it was held up with some wire wrapped around it:


Now, after a bit of persuasion, I've got it off. It's a bit rusty:


It's odd, after I got the exhaust off I started the car again and it wasn't any louder than before. I wonder why??

I don't think that I'll bother with trying to patch it up, I think I'll just get a new one and put it on.
On a side note, I picked up a new MIG welder and an angle grinder at Canadian tire today. The welder was 50% off and the angle grinder was 60% off. If anyone wants a MIG welder at a great price let me know; I've got a raincheck since they couldn't initially find the one I wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment